We have fought the good fight for the past 4 years against the worst economy since the Great Depression. The good news: with hard work and shared sacrifice, we are turning the corner.
Since becoming your CEO, I have economized and prioritized, cutting $130 million in spending. We right-sized and restructured more than any other local government in the metro area. (The AJC’s Truth-O-Meter checked our facts on that!) We made hard choices. We rescued the county’s credit rating, saving taxpayers’ dollars. Leadership matters.
And there’s more good news. Through our “ONE DeKalb” initiatives, we are restoring neighborhoods by making foreclosed homes available for police officers, firefighters and teachers; we are creating over 4,500 new jobs as we upgrade our water and sewer system; we have secured over $60 million in federal and state funding for streetscape improvements on our major thoroughfares; and we have constructed a new Renewable Energy Facility to convert landfill waste into cheaper natural gas fuel for our automobiles. Experience matters.
We are utilizing partnerships to make the best use of your resources. The results: 2 new recreation centers, 8 improved parks, and 8 new or improved libraries throughout all of DeKalb County. This year, we will begin or complete construction on 2 new police precincts and 3 new senior centers. In a unique public-private partnership, we will soon open a new state-of-the-art YMCA. Results matter.
I look forward to sharing more good news and hearing your concerns at our meet and greets in June. Since taking office, I have held over 50 of these gatherings. I have taken your questions and had a conversation with you and your neighbors, face-to-face. The way I was elected is the way I have governed. And that is the way I will continue to govern in my second term as your CEO. Listening matters, too.
Your DeKalb County CEO
The Meet-and-Greets continue. Join us at a home near you!
For maps, please click here .
- Monday, June 4, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Dunwoody home of Jim and Sherrill Redovian, 1789 Corners Court, Dunwoody 30338. Corners Court meets Corner Drive a short block from Mount Vernon Road, between Tilly Mill Road and Chamblee Dunwoody.
- Tuesday, June 5, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the East Lake Terrace home of Jacqueline Murry, Ph.D., 1894 Eastfield Street, Decatur 30032. From Candler Road between McAfee and Glenwood, take Northview to Eastfield.
- Thursday, June 7, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Hidden Hills home of Wendall Ervin, 4864 Clubgreen Summit, Stone Mountain 30088. From South Hairston north of Covington Highway, take Woodway to Biffle to Clubgreen Summit.
- Monday, June 11, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Brookhaven home of Carolyn and Trey Benton, 3511 Sunderland Circle, Atlanta 30319. Sunderland meets Johnson Ferry Road west of Ashford Dunwoody Road and Blackburn Park, north of Oglethorpe University.
- Tuesday, June 12, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Brookhaven home of Tim and Toni Morrison, 7 Brookhaven Drive, Atlanta 30319. Brookhaven Drive meets Peachtree on both sides of its intersection with North Druid Hills Road.
- Thursday, June 14, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Leafmore home of Ted Daniel, 1412 Knollwood Terrace, Decatur 30033. From LaVista Road take Oak Grove Road south to Tanglewood Road, then turn right and go one block to Knollwood.
- Monday, June 18, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Lithonia home of Tom and Beverly Coleman, 5361 Rock Springs Road, Lithonia 30038. Go to the intersection of Rock Springs and Panola Road, about 1 mile south of the Panola Road exit off I-20.
- Tuesday, June 19, from 7 to 8:30 PM, in Tucker/Stone Mountain at The Poolhouse, Mountain Creek Swim Club, hosted by Marsha Ashby. Go to 2092 Mountain Creek Court, Stone Mountain, 30087, off Hugh Howell Road, east of Mountain Industrial Boulevard.
- Thursday, June 21, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Cedar Grove/Conley home of Reggie and Toni Beyah, 4103 James Lake Drive, Conley 30288. Off Cedar Grove Road between I-675 and Bouldercrest, take Cove Lake Drive to James Lake.
- Monday, June 25, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the South DeKalb home of Johnny and Connie Cole, 3683 Idle Creek Drive, Decatur 30034. Idle Creek meets Boring Road north of its intersection with Flat Shoals Parkway, near Wesley Chapel and Flakes Mill.
- Tuesday, June 26, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Mountain View home of Victor and Margaret Mbaba, 6815 Wynbrooke Cove, Stone Mountain 30087. Take Rockbridge Road to Wynbrooke Parkway to Wynbrooke Cove.
- Thursday, June 28, from 7 to 8:30 PM, at the Druid Hills home of Tad Braswell, 2083 East Lake Road, Atlanta 30307, with co-host Gale Walldorff. East Lake meets Ponce de Leon between Decatur and Fernbank.